Crispy Fish Tacos with Spicy Mango Salsa
Not much seems to be going well or flowing smoothly in our world recently but, I have to say, #cincodemayo falling on #tacotuesday feels like something to celebrate during this wild time. I am a huge fan of a sweet-salty-spicy combo, especially when it comes to tacos. So, I've taken inspiration from one of my favorites - The Mighty Cone in Austin, TX - to create this killer recipe.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hr 15 minutes
Makes 6 tacos
- 6 corn tortillas
- 8 oz cod (I used frozen)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used Gillian's Original Gluten Free Bread Crumbs)
- 2 1/2 tbsp almonds (roughly ground)
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk (or shelf-stable/dairy-alternative)
- 2 jalapenos, diced, seeds removed
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 mango, diced & lightly mashed
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch chili powder
- 1/2 lime, juiced & zested
- 2 tbsp non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp mayo
- Tajin seasoning, to taste
- vegetable or canola oil for frying
1. In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, almonds, red pepper flakes, and sugar. Set aside.
2. Whisk together the egg and milk. set aside.
3. In a small bowl, prepare the salsa by combining the onion, jalapeno, mango, salt, chili powder, lime juice & zest. Set aside.
4. To prepare the crema - in a small bowl or ramekin, whip together the Greek yogurt and mayo. Set aside.
5. In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, add an inch of oil. The oil is ready when you drop in a cube of bread and it bubbles intensely. Dip a piece of cod in the egg & milk mixture then into the breadcrumb mixture. Cover completely with breadcrumbs before placing in the hot oil, frying 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned. Place the fried cod on a paper towel-covered plate to drain.
6. While the cod is cooling, prepare the tortillas by placing over an open flame over low-medium heat. Using tongs, flip back and forth occasionally, re-positioning to ensure all sides are toasted and lightly charred.
7. To assemble the tacos, top a tortilla with a teaspoon or so of the crema, then crispy cod, then mango salsa, and a dash of tajin. Enjoy!