Strawberry & Burrata Panzanella Salad
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 baguette, cubed
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dozen strawberries, hulled & quartered
- 3 green onions, chopped - greens only
- 1/4 cup fennel, thinly sliced - fronds reserved for garnish
- 4 oz burrata, sliced
- 3 strips thick-cut bacon - 2 tbsp bacon fat reserved
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Toss tomato wedges in 1 tbsp kosher salt. Set aside.
3. Toss cubed baguette in 2 tbsp olive oil. Spread evenly on baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Prepare a large pan over medium heat & cut bacon into 1 inch chunks. Cook in pan until dark and crispy. Remove from grease and drain on paper towel. Reserve bacon grease.
5. Whisk together 3 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp reserved bacon grease, and lime juice - season as needed. Set aside.
6. In a large mixing bowl, toss 2/3 of dressing with toasted baguette. Add strawberries, green onion, bacon, and fennel. Gently toss to mix.
7. To assemble the salad, place on a large serving platter and spoon burrata on top with fennel fronds. Serve immediately.